UNISONActive is an unofficial blog produced by UNISON activists for UNISON activists. Bringing news, briefings and events from a progressive left perspective.

Sunday 30 November 2014

Plight of a migrant worker by Khalid Hameed

wake up in the morning
head out to look
for work
stand in the corner of
the street
waiting for cars passing by
to pick you up
and take you to veg
gardens
as a day labor,
I am that forgiven one
that you need me
when you can’t find
anyone
as I fulfill your greed
of cheap labor
when I am not required
anymore,
then you blame me
that I am a thief
stealing all the jobs
from a mythical
breed of workers
that no one has seen,
you treat me like a
pile of garbage
hire me and pay me
dirt cheap,
no human dignity for me
and many like me
you fill your coffers
on the sweat and blood
of me and my brothers
and sisters,
I don’t complain
as I have many
needs
filling the empty stomach
of my little ones,
and the old ones
you fulfill my needs
‘cause I can’t do it
without your greed,
that I so desperately
need to succeed.